Thursday, February 26, 2009

World's Most Pierced Woman: 6,005 and Counting

The world's most pierced woman, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, has added to her collection with a 6,005th piercing, the U.K.'s Telegraph reported.

Elaine Davidson, of Edinburgh, Scotland, made the Guinness World Record official in 2000 when she had a mere 462 piercings -- 192 of which were in her face.

Nine years later, the Brazilian-born nurse has thousands of piercings including more than 1,500 that she says are "internal."

Surprisingly, Davidson says she doesn't like getting pierced.

"To break the record you have to get to a high level," she told the Telegraph. "I wanted to break the record. My family [doesn't] even like tattoos or piercings. But I am happy. I decided to change myself and be me."

Excessive piercing can be dangerous, according to medical experts. In addition to the risk of infection in and around the area of the piercings, people who are well-pierced are considered at high risk for blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis and HIV, which can be spread by reusing needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment