Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Twelfth Day of Christmas

I never understood this until I went searching for it online and found this on Wikipedia. Now it makes a little sense. According to this, yesterday was the twelfth day of Christmas and today is the Epiphany...or at least I think so.

The Twelve Days of Christmas, and the associated evenings of those twelve days (Twelve-tide), are the festive days beginning on Christmas Day (December 25) through to the evening of the Twelfth Day of Christmas, (January 6). Thus, the first night of Christmas is December 25–26 and Twelfth Night is January 5-6. This period is also known as Christmastide. The day after Twelfth Night is Epiphany.

Wikipedia.org Article

The 26th is mentioned because of the celebration of Boxing Day. Also, according to the articles I read, it is supposed to be unlucky to keep up Christmas decorations beyond the Epiphany...I'm sure I'll see soon enough. Mine aren't coming down until this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment